Regional Gender Officer – Job Description
Part Time Position (50%)
EcoPalestine is the Palestinian affiliate of EcoPeace Middle East, a unique organization that brings together Jordanian, Palestinian, and Israeli environmentalists. Our primary objective is the promotion of cooperative efforts to protect our shared environmental heritage. In so doing, we seek to advance both sustainable regional development and the creation of necessary conditions for lasting peace in our region. EcoPeace has offices in Amman, Ramallah, and Tel-Aviv.
The Gender Officer is expected to support the integration of the gender perspective into the EcoPeace projects and activities and to ensure that gender aspects are mainstreamed and strengthened throughout the organization’s strategy at the regional level and within the three offices of EcoPeace in Amman, Ramallah and Tel Aviv. The Gender Officer will have to conduct mapping and gender analysis activities, as well as staff training on gender mainstreaming.
One year with the possibility of Extension.
Regional Position based in EcoPalestine/EcoPeace ME Office – Ramallah, Palestine
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support and advise program management, teams and partners on the development, implementation and monitoring of gender aspects and women empowerment across the organization’s programmes and within the Good Water Neighbours program activities in specific.
- Prepare strategy and implementation plan on mainstreaming gender issues and women empowerment within the organization (all EcoPeace Middle East offices) and across its programmes in general and the Good Water Neighbours in specific.
- Lead assessment and gender mapping at national level and regional level to gather information and analysis on gender issues that are relevant to the organization’s activity.
- Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation officer on setting key performance indicators with regards to gender targets within the programmes management and monitoring plans.
- Make periodical visit to affiliate EcoPeace Offices (Amman and Tel Aviv, including the Sherhabil Ben Hasna EcoPark) to ensure project activities and work plans are inclusive to gender aspects.
- Draw attention to successes and challenges faced in the programme in regards to gender mainstreaming, feed in observations and recommendations to M&E and Programme Management.
- Work closely with the Media and Content Development officer to prepare success stories of champion women; ensure the integration of gender perspective in published material on EcoPeace websites, newsletters and social media.
- Support the media and content development officer in developing press release to highlight the gender issues. Analyse and adapt complex information to become reachable to a wider audience to promote and influence gender issues and its particularities within EcoPeace programmes.
- In coordination with management, identify and organize training needs in gender mainstreaming and gender sensitive issues for EcoPalestine/EcoPeace staff and partners; prepare and disseminate relevant material accordingly.
- Any other duties and responsibilities which be assigned by direct supervisor
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A in development studies, social sciences, or related field. Master’s degree in gender studies or a related field is a plus.
- At least 5 years of work experience in the field of development & humanitarian cooperation preferably with an I/NGO within a similar context of gender and women empowerment issues
- At least 5 years of work experience.
- Proven understanding of gender concepts and latest developments in gender issues and mainstreaming policy and practice and proven experience in using different gender analysis frameworks and tools.
- Proficiency in English; Hebrew is a plus.
- Multitasking and organizational skills, ability to plan, prioritize and execute tasks professionally.
- Able to assess what needs to be done and deliver independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Willingness to work unconventional hours and be available for regional travel.