EcoPeace was invited by the S&D Group of the EU Parliament to take part in two events:
ACCESS TO WATER AND SANITATION – A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT?
Wednesday 6 June 2012, 3.30pm-7.00 pm
European Parliament- Brussels
EXHIBITION: “CROSSING THE JORDAN”
hosted by Ivari PADAR, S&D MEP
presented by the EcoPeace Middle East
4 – 8 June 2012, European Parliament- Brussels
Opening with a cocktail reception: Wed. 6 June 7.00 pm
ACCESS TO WATER AND SANITATION: A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT?
Panel discussion 1 chaired by Ana GOMES, MEP, S&D AFET Coordinator:
This panel focused on the state of play of the existing international legal basis for access to water as a fundamental human right, discussed good governance in water management and considered the role played by of the EU in this context.
- Catarina de ALBUQUERQUE, UN Human Rights Council Special Rapporteur, on access to water and sanitation (tbc)
- Joyeeta GUPTA, Professor in Policy and Law on Water Resources and the Environment at the UNESC-IHE Institute for Water Education in Delft
- Ricardo PETRELLA, Chair of the European Institute of Research for the politics of water
Panel discussion 2 chaired by Richard HOWITT, MEP, S&D DROI Coordinator:
This panel discussed access to water and sanitation as a humanitarian problem and as a cause of geopolitical tension in the world looking at a specific case study.
- Kristalina GIORGIEVA, EU Commissioner, International cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response (tbc)
- Bernard DROBENKO, University Professor and author of the book “the right to water : a humanitarian urgency
- Case study: Palestine/Israel/Jordan : Guest speakers: Gidon BROMBERG from Israel and Nader KHATEB from Palestine (NGO EcoPeace Middle East)
Conclusions by Véronique DE KEYSER, MEP, Vice-President of the S&D Group